Two chicken sandwiches come in, one chicken sandwich goes.
- Well, technically they both left because Monica and Justin ate them.
The new function: Food of the Week Cage Match, where we throw our favorite picks on the same (ish) dish and let you choose the winner.
Today’s food: Chicken sandwiches.
Justin: Mine comes from Roost Chicken & Biscuits. They have two locations in Chicago, but I’ve been a regular at the Milwaukee location for almost a decade. Your chicken sandwich is a work of art.
- I go for the house style which includes spicy chicken on a Hawaiian bun (also available as a biscuit) with coleslaw, dill pickles, and a chipotle ranch sauce.
- I would also recommend the Carolina style, an allspice cheese sandwich.
- And even if it’s not a chicken sandwich, don’t be a fool. Get the peach cobbler.
I’m not alone in my claim that roost is the best in Chicago. Chance the Rapper shot a music video in front of the bar.
The oyster mushroom sandwich at Majani Soulful Vegan Cuisine. Photo: Monica Eng / Axios
Monica: Though I love a traditional chicken sandwich, I was intrigued by the explosion of fake chicken sandwiches in Chicago, especially the type of oyster mushrooms. My favorite comes from Majani Soulful Vegan Cuisine on South Shore – one of three South Side locations.
- Called a Fried Oyster Mushroom Sandwich ($ 12.95), it features lettuce and tomatoes on a hearty bun. It comes with crispy pieces of sweet potato, but the secret is the mushrooms.
- These tender but meaty tasting mushrooms are expertly breaded and deep-fried in a delicious batter topped with a creamy garlic sauce.
Youth view: My vegetarian daughter and her friend devoured theirs and said “It’s bussin” which I was told means they liked it.
📫. Reply to this email with your winner. And while you’re at it, let us know what your favorite Chicago chicken sandwich is!