$3 million bail for Valentino Wilburn charged with shooting Cook County sheriff’s officers
A Cook County judge on Saturday posted $3 million bail for a man charged with the three counts of attempted murder of a peace officer following a shootout with Cook County sheriff’s officers in the South Shore earlier this week.
Valentino Wilburn is also charged as an armed felon of habit following the Jan. 12 encounter in the 7400 block of South Yates.
Sheriff’s Police located the man through his electronic surveillance bracelet after receiving calls to remove him from a home where he was no longer welcome, authorities said. Eventually, they pushed him into a cul-de-sac where the shooting allegedly took place, prosecutors said at a bail hearing on Saturday.
Wilburn told his girlfriend, who was in the car with him, that he loved her and that he should duck before he got out of the car and started shooting at officers, prosecutors said.
Wilburn was not in court Saturday as he remained in critical condition on a ventilator in the University of Chicago Intensive Care Unit and was being treated for gunshot wounds. No officers were injured.
Because he was absent from the court hearing, the prosecution’s motion to deny bail was postponed to another hearing scheduled for January 21. Meanwhile, Judge Maryam Ahmed set bail at $3 million.
But Wilburn won’t be able to break free from jail anyway, as he has separate counts of criminal sex abuse and assault. He is expected in court on January 19 on those charges.