Nice. High: 83 Low: 78.
Here’s to the wonderful local business who sponsors this newsletter. Check out what they can do for you:
Chicago business owners: Need digital marketing help? Digi Chicago builds digital solutions and systems at affordable rates to help put your business on the map and set you apart from your competitors. With over 50 years of combined knowledge in all areas of digital marketing, Digi Chicago is the go-to service for all of your web design, online advertising, social media marketing and SEO needs. Visit them here to learn more and use the code digichicagopatch for 10% off services your first month.
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to get started.
- The head of Urban Prep Academies, Tim King, a former People Magazine Hero of the Year for founding charter schools that got 100 percent of it’s Black male graduates into college, has resigned, Sara Karp reports. (WBEZ)
- A man in a ski mask broke into a house in Lincoln Square. When family members didn’t have cash, the robber forced them to travel to an ATM to withdraw money, authorities said. (CWB)
- What we learned about the Illinois Democratic Party over the weekend: “gov. JB Pritzker’s wallet speaks volumes, and Congressman Chuy Garcia is a deal-maker set on expanding his power,” Shia Kapos reported from the central committee’s confirmation of state Rep. Lisa Hernandez of Cicero as the new party boss. (Politico)
- After a two-year spike in shootings, the number of gun-violence victims is declining. “Homicides have dropped 16% through July, down to 379 from 452 at the same point last year, according to a release from the police department. The number of people shot has fallen 20%, down to 1,969 from 2,455 during the same period last years.” (NBC5)
- The Yankees traded for Cubs relief pitcher Scott Effross before Tuesday’s trade deadline. The North Siders pick up right-handed pitcher Hayden Wesnewski. (CBS Sports)
- The White Sox dealt catcher Reese McGuire to Boston for veteran left-handed pitchers . (Yahoo)
- gov. JB Pritzker declared monkeypox a public health emergency in Illinois. So far, Illinois is home to 520 confirmed cases, the third most in America. (ABC7)
For A Good Time, Click:
- Boy Pablo w/ Mazie at Thalia Hall (8:30 pm)
- $uicide Boy$ w/ Ski Mask The Slump God, Maxo Kream at Northernly Island (6:30pm)
- “Dirty Dance” @ Movies at Millennium Park (6:30 pm)
- Best of Second City at second city (8pm)
- Mike Phillips at City Winery (8 pm)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- First Saturday Evanston Art Events, August 6 (August 6)
- Lowered Costs for 2022, Get Your Cannabis Card in 24hrs from Home! (Aug 7)
- Evanston Made Maker’s Markets (August 7)
- The Evanston Chamber Music Society Summer Music Festival (August 19)
- Add your event
— Mark Konkol
About me: Mark Konkol, recipient of the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for local reporting, wrote and produced the Peabody Award-winning series “Time: The Kalief Browder Story.” He was a producer, writer and narrator for the “Chicagoland” docuseries on CNN and a consulting producer on the Showtime documentary “16 Shots.”
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Chicago Daily? Contact me at [email protected]