CHICAGO – It may have been a long wait, but it was well worth it for those participating in the 43rd edition of the Chicago Marathon. The race on Sunday took place for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic and was filled with local participants.
According to unofficial results, 107 runners were from Evanston of the approximately 26,000 who finished the marathon.
, from Ethiopia, won the men’s race with a time of 2:06:12 seconds, while Ruth Chepngetich from Kenya took the women’s crown with a time of 2:22:31.
The men’s and women’s wheelchair races were won byand , both USA, in 1:29:07 and 1:48:57.
One of the Evanston runners was local eighty-year-old Jerry Lilidahl, who finished first among all runners in his age group. According to unofficial results, a dozen men and women aged 80 and over have registered for the race and three completed it. The local lawyer and ETH chess club trainer Keith Holzmüller took second place among the 65 to 69 year olds.
The top 10 Evanston runners, ranked by their final placement within their gender, were as follows:
- Kyler Hu, 2:51:39, 95th in the 25-29 age group, 309th for men, 356th overall
- Sharon Hermes, 3:32:09, 84th in the age group 40-44, 611th for women, 3,007. total
- Ruben Keller, 2:59:45, 83rd in the 40-44 age group, 612th in the men, 698th overall
- José Salas, 3:06:37, 196. in the 25-29 age group, 854. for men, 994. overall
- Sam Lang, 3:09:24, 152. in the age group 40-44, 963. in the men, 1.1131. total
- Jen Strickland, 3:49:07, 186. in the age group 40-44, 1,288. for women, 4,992. all in all
- Sean Patton, 3:19:40, 275. in the age group 40-44, 1,556. for men, 1,866. all in all
- Keith Holzmüller, 3:22:19, 2nd in the age group 65-69, 1,702. for men, 2,055. total
- Anthony Chukumba, 3:23:50, 85th in the age group 50-54, 1,794. for men, 2,128. total
- Paul Lang, 3:24:15, 349th in the age group 35-39, 1,824. for men, 2,223. all in all
The participants in this year’s race had to provide evidenceor a recorded within 72 hours of attending the event
A full list of local runners who finished the race can be found here.