Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Chicago shootings: 9 shots, 3 fatal, Wednesday

Nine people were shot dead in Chicago on Wednesday, three of them fatal, including a man shot while driving in Gresham.

A gunman in another car, possibly a silver SUV, opened fire at about 12:20 p.m. in the 7900 block of South Ashland Avenue, Chicago police said. The 31-year-old man was shot in the chest and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

One man was killed and another injured in a shooting in East Garfield Park. The men, 28 and 36, were outside when gunshots rang out in the 2800 block of West Warren Avenue at 8 a.m., police said. Someone drove the men to Mount Sinai Hospital, where the 28-year-old was pronounced dead with gunshot wounds to his body. He has been identified as Brandon Smiley of Lawndale, the Cook County’s coroner’s office said. The other man was listed in serious condition with gunshot wounds to his arm and thigh.

A man was shot dead opening his door in Auburn Gresham on the South Side. The 60-year-old heard the doorbell and walked to the front door of his house on the 2000 block of West 83rd Street around 2 a.m., police said. A family member heard a gunshot and found the man lying in the doorway with a gunshot wound to his forehead. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

In non-fatal shootings, two teenagers were wounded in a shooting on the Far South Side. They were out on the 400 block on East 134th Street around 9:20 p.m. when someone opened fire and hit them both, police said. A 17-year-old boy was shot in the back and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition. Another 16-year-old boy was hit in the foot and taken to Roseland Community Hospital, where he was in good condition.

A 17-year-old boy was injured in an early morning shooting in Brighton Park on the Southwest Side. He was walking in the 4900 block of South Kedzie Avenue around 5:30 p.m. when someone fired shots from a vehicle, police said. The teenager was hit in the leg and taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition.

A man was injured while driving past Englewood on the South Side. At around 1:35 a.m., the 25-year-old was driving in the back seat of a vehicle when a black jeep pulled up next to him in Block 7100 on South Racine Street and fired several shots into his vehicle, police said. He was hit in the back and taken to St. Bernard Hospital, where his condition stabilized.

In the first reported shooting of the day, a Chicago police officer shot a man who had just shot two people in Gresham, but the man escaped after barricading himself in a house, authorities said. Officials on patrol saw the man shoot from an alley into a garage on Block 8300 on South Kerfoot Avenue at around 12:30 p.m. An officer shot the man once, but it was not known whether he was hit. In the garage they discovered two men who had been shot by the suspect. A man in his 60s was hit in the thigh and a man in his fifties was hit in the leg. Both were taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where the 60-year-old was in good condition and the younger man was in serious condition. After escaping the scene, the man barricaded himself in a house. A SWAT team responded and surrounded the house for about eight hours. Later on Wednesday morning, police said the stalemate was over but no one was in custody.

14 people were shot dead across the city on Tuesday, one fatal.

Comments are closed.