EVANSTON IL – Sixteen senior students attending classes in seven local schools and at home were named Wednesday (Sept. 14, 2022) as among more than 16,000 semifinalists in the 68th annual National Merit Scholarship Program. In coming months about 95 percent of them are expected to attain finalist standing, and later about half of the finalists will win a National Merit Scholarship, its sponsoring organization said.
Named as semifinalists were:
- At Spring Ford Area High, Vania Mokonchu, Samyan S Nakkella, Arnav S Pallem, and Sunidhi H Srinivas;
- At Owen J Roberts High, Maxwell C Dulay, Sarah L Ewing, and Vaishnavi Komera;
- At Perkiomen Valley High, Kevin R. Bonner and Benjamin I. Marks;
- At Phoenixville Area High, Ailill E. Forte and Ezekiel Rein;
- At The Hill SchoolAman Gupta and Jifan Zhu;
- At Boyertown Area High, Dylan M. Klass;
- At Valley Forge Baptist Academy, Hope I. Adedokun; other
- At home, Judah I. Sotomayor of Douglasville.
“These academically talented high school seniors have an opportunity to continue in the competition for about 7,250 scholarships worth a total of nearly $28 million that will be offered next spring,” according to the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Established in 1955, the corporation is a not-for-profit organization that operates without government assistance.
High school juniors entered the 2023 National Merit Scholarship Program by taking its qualifying test, which served as an initial screen of program entrants. The nationwide pool of semifinalists, representing less than one percent of all US high school seniors, includes the highest-scoring entrants in each state.
From the semifinalists, more than 15,000 are expected to advance to the finalist level. Finalists will be notified of their designation during February 2023. All National Merit Scholarship winners will be selected from the finalists group. Scholarship winners are selected on the basis of their skills, accomplishments, and potential for success in rigorous college studies.
Photo by Anton Matyukha via Deposit Photos, used under license